Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Zahir – Really touching.

Hi again!

Time to discuss something about recently read book – The Zahir from Paulo Coelho. Book is truly good but I want to say something here – I read The Alchemist and I was impressed by Paulo’s writing. I am still impressed but now I feel that its typical of him. Just the same style and same attitude towards looking at certain things.
Anyway, I am no way as good as Mr. Paulo Coelho and hence I think I have no right to make any comment or critics.

But something that touched my soul: Some paragraphs writing here which I would like to share with all of you. :

A sense of paradise descends from the skies. And I am aware that I am living through an unforgettable moment in my life; it is kind of awareness we often have precisely when the magic moment has passed. I am entirely here, without past, without future, entirely focused on the morning, on the music of the horses’ hooves, on the gentleness of the wind caressing my body, on the unexpected grace of contemplating sky, earth, human beings. I feel a sense of adoration and ecstasy. I am thankful for being alive. I pray quietly, listening to the voice of nature, and understanding that the invisible world always manifests itself in the visible world.

I ask the sky some questions, the same questions I used to ask my mother when I was a child :

Why do we love certain people & hate others?
Where do we go after we die?
Why are we born if, in the end, we die?
What does God mean?

The nature responds with the constant sound of wind. And that is enough : knowing that the fundamental questions of life will never be answered, and that we can, nevertheless, still go forward.


The last touching paragraph which I feel to share here is :

In the words of a Parsian sage: Love is a disease no one wants to get rid of. Those who catch it never try to get better, and those who suffer do not wish to be cured.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Alps,

It was really very touching to know you more through your blog. i can say you have expressed yourself well. rightnow will not be able to write much but definately will soon be writing more.

Arvind

Unknown said...

KAJALSDear Alpana,

I know what are you going through and i empathise with your condition as we are sailing in the same boat.
As you must have observed that life sometimes is partial towards us..as they say " Life is not what it is supposed to be, it is what IT IS to be".
I know you have gone through a lot at such a tender age, but you have come out to be a bolder and better person. Just wanted to say that Believe in yourself and stick to your decisions as it would help you in a long run.
We will always be very good friends as i've shared a an important phase of my career with you.

Just remember the following:
Go placidly among the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself.

Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.

Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the Universe; no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham and drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy

ALL THE BEST IN YOUR FUTURE ENDEAVOURS!!
kAJAL

Anonymous said...

Hello, I realy enjoy reading The Zahir!
Do you know that Paulo is launching his new book, The Witch of Portobello, through his blog
http://www.paulocoelhoblog.com

I found it out because i'm inscibed to his newsletter http://www.warriorofthelight.com/

it's simply wonderful!
have a nice day!